Monday, June 14, 2010

Starting Eleven Football Blog Roundup

Honestly, I thought the Starting Eleven Football Blog Roundup was getting a little tired and I put it on the shelf for a while. Bringing it back today World Cup-style though.

I'm going to hit on a lot of things today and probably follow it up with a mailbag later today, not sure.

Interestingly, Americans' best metric for success and popularity of an event rests on TV ratings. Somehow, if more eyeballs are on something, it must mean it's a good thing. Odd. I doubt that happens anywhere else, and I'm sure that would be for a lot of reasons. But in the U.S., we're such a bandwagon country, especially when it comes to sports, that the World Cup's success/failure will be measured in Neilsen points.

Awful. I'm not against anyone or everyone watching the World Cup, but let's not confuse your girlfriend watching a game in order to be able to participate in watercooler discussions the next day at work with legitimate interested viewers. Those, I fear, are few and far between.

And that's OK I say. I don't need soccer to be huge here in the United States, because frankly, judging on past experiences, Americans will ruin soccer if they get their hands on it. You allow widespread American interest and influence in soccer, and you'll have a shot clock, shootouts, a and a two-point line quicker than you can say North American Soccer League.

Ugh.

Let's get on with our latest trip around the football blogosphere:

Subscribe to Starting Eleven

No comments: